Saturday, February 13, 2010

Simple Joys

Angela Kania
Advanced Comp
This I Believe Essay

I believe in the power of simple joys.
A few months ago, I was experiencing a difficult time in my life. All around me, the world seemed to be crumbling under my feet. My eighteen-year-old cousin was shot and killed; then a week later my great uncle passed away. My entire family walked around in a dark stupor, fighting to understand and accept the horror of such tragedy. I screamed at the injustice of my cousin dying before achieving his dreams and before living a full life. I struggled to keep my sanity while supporting those around me. I cried until I felt empty, hollow, and hopeless. The dark turmoil in my soul reflected upon my whole world. Nothing seemed right! My hair was always a mess, one of my favorite sandals was missing, my homework was overwhelming, my clothes never fit right, my friends seemed to be distant, and the days drug on and on. Nothing was right! Nothing!
A simple change turned my life around and caused me to believe again. One afternoon while trying to escape the emotional upheaval ripping my world apart, I plopped down along the river in pure exhaustion and defeat. The churning river beat and thrashed, struggling to continue downstream around the large, jutting rocks. As I sat cross-legged and hunched forward cursing at fate and pounding the very ground beneath my feet, a subtle change took place in my heart. I started to notice the simple joys surrounding me. The slightest stir of a cool breeze lifted from the river and gently fluttered my ponytail against the curve of my neck. Raising my head, a smile tugged at the corners of lips as I watched a large bass leap from the water, catch a passing dragonfly, and splash back into the clear river, leaving a rainbow of ripples upon the surface. All I had to do was open my eyes and look around at all the simple joys surrounding me.
I believe in the simple joys. Getting a big hug from my niece, my favorite team celebrating a victory, and my puppy sitting for the first time on command are simple joys I have learned to take pleasure in. I have developed an appreciation for a beautiful sunset, the little girl smiling at me in the next car, the smell of freshly baked cookies, the warmth of the sun on my shoulders, the taste of rich hot cocoa, and that today is Friday! By noticing the simple joys, my whole world seems brighter and happier.
Being grateful and taking account of the big things in life is easy. Sure, all my basic needs are met. I have a home, food on the table, clothes to wear, good health, and family and friends who love me. But as I started becoming aware of the more simple things around me, I began to have hope and to feel alive again. During my life I will experience times of grief, pain, and suffering, but if I look around the simple joys will always be there to help me through. I can’t afford to waste another day letting life pass me by.
I believe in the power of simple joys.


The above essay was written by my niece, Angela, shortly after Josh died. I dedicated today to her memory by noticing and enjoying the simple joys around me. Angela's beautiful words help those of us who remain behind to know how to face the days ahead. Out of the mouth of babes................

No comments: