Saturday, February 13, 2010

How Hard Can It Be?

How hard can it be to simply pick up the phone and order alter flowers for the Sunday before the anniversary of Josh's death? I have avoided making the call for days. While wanting to provide the flowers, I guess I don't want to face what they mean.

It reminds me of the day we put his ashes in the ground. I sat and listened at the grave side to the pastor speak words of comfort. Then, when the service was over, I could not get up. To get up would be to have to acknowledge that he was gone. I sat there for a long time with tears streaming down my face. Mike tried to get me to get up. I couldn't. I remember my grandmother coming over and in her gentle, strong way encouraging me to get up. I still could not do it. Mike came back again and put his arms around me. I remember him saying, "Your grandma knows how you feel." I remember shaking my head "yes" and getting up.

My grandmother knew because on September 19th, 1974 she lost her only child, my mother, in a horse riding accident. My grandmother's strength and absolute faith in God has been an inspiration to me throughout the years.

September will be a hard month for us.

Originally posted September 4, 2009

No comments: