Monday, December 13, 2010

It's not just about me..........

When I started this blog, I kept it private. I did not share it with anyone. However, I knew from the first typed sentence that there would come a time when I would share it. From the very beginning I knew that the words here had to come straight from my heart and must be shared. I knew instinctively that this would be my survival. I knew that somehow by speaking my heart and sharing it with the few who chose to listen, I would painfully find my way.

Those who read this blog and never comment, I thank you for taking the time to read it. Those who have commented, even just once, thank you for your words. To those who have written me privately to offer prayers on my behalf, to offer words of comfort, or to share with me your pain, I thank you.

You see, this blog is not just about me. Although I write as if no one will ever read this, I know that others are reading it. Some will come simply out of curiosity, still others because they want to reach out to me, but others will come because they too are experiencing the pain of grief.

Can we compare grief?

Is my grief great than yours or your grief greater than mine?

Can we compare the loss of a spouse to the loss of a parent?

Or the loss of a friend to the loss of a child?

Can we compare our hurts that come from divorce or the loss of a relationship with a relative?

What about those who have lost their jobs or their homes? Can we tell them that they don't have the right to grieve because our grief is great than theirs?

My point is that grief is grief. Pain is pain. Loss is loss. It would be unfair of me to say to anyone that they pain they are feeling can't compare to my pain. It would be unfair of me to judge someone and tell them that they should do better, be better, or get over it because what they are suffering does not compare to what I am suffering.

My point is that I write these words in this blog for myself, but in doing so, I am writing for all those who grieve, in hopes that we can all realize that we are not alone and to give us all a voice.

Whoever you are, wherever you are, whatever you are suffering...........you are not alone. There is no way to compare grief, but we can share in our grief and somehow, we will make it through.

No comments: